Us

Us

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Bum Genius Diaper Review

This is the first chance I have gotten to start my diaper reviews because we have been......potty training!!! Which makes me love my cloth diapers even more....lol. Little Young has had a rocky start with the potty. Anyway on to the review.....


Bum Genius isn't my favorite or my least favorite, it's somewhere in the middle.


I use/used two different styles both in snap and in velcro (aplix) Bum Genius Freestyle and Bum Genius 4.0.....I'll start with the Freestyle.


Little Young in his snap Freestyle

FREESTYLE- this is an All-in-One (AIO) diaper, that means everything is sewn in and all you have to do is put it on. And a One Size....can take you from birth-potty training (would be very bulky at birth) The soakers inside are microfiber (man made)


Pros:
- You don't have to "stuff" these like a pocket diaper
- They wash well
- Good fit
- Very absorbent
- Easy to purchase (popular)
- Comes in a variety of cute colors


Cons:
- Elastic wears faster than any other brand I have tried (elastic should be easy to replace)
- Velcro wears out fairly fast
- Holds odors more than a natural fiber
- When spraying out solids, the sewn in inserts can be hard to clean



4.0- this is a pocket diaper (you stuff in inserts into the pocket), this diaper normally comes with 2 inserts, a newborn sz and regular sz that can snap down for size variation. I started using just the regular sz insert and as he has wet more I started add the newborn one also as a "doubler". This also is a "One Size" diaper.


Pros:
-Good fit
- Very absorbent, with both inserts
- Easy to spray out solids
-Comes in a variety of cute colors
Little Young in his aplix 4.0
- Easy to purchase (popular)
- The pocket opening is large enough that you
can just shake the inserts out and not have to touch them.


Cons:
- You have to "stuff" the inserts
- You can only stuff the inserts into the back
- Elastic wears faster than any other brand I have tried (elastic should be easy to replace)
- Velcro wears out fairly fast
- Holds odors more than a natural fiber








To sum it up, I wouldn't get rid of my Bum genius, but I wouldn't go out and buy nothing but Bum Genius for my stash. I like the Freestyle better than the 4.0, because they are similar, but I don't have to stuff them. So, I normally use them first (after wash day), because I have to stuff the rest. Also, they come in snap and Velcro. I like the snap better for longevity, but you do get a customize fit with Velcro.....if it wasn't for it wearing out so fast :( But with all the Velcro out there, on smaller babies, when they are doing lots of crawling and sitting up the velcro digs into the baby's belly. If I was starting over again, I would buy a couple Freestyle snaps for my stash.
*I am trying a couple of Bum Genius AIO x-smalls for the one little one.*



Freestyle open with inserts flipped out
Freestyle inside



Smallest rise setting (meant for newborn)
Middle rise setting (infant)

Largest rise setting (toddler)


Inserts for the 4.0 diaper


Inside of the 4.0


Outside of the 4.0 (as you can tell the elastic is relaxed)

No comments:

Post a Comment