Us

Us

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

7 Children, 1 Tired Hubby, and 1 Huge Preggo= Our Trip to Texas

I haven't blogged about our trip yet, because I needed time to recover from the traveling. I am fully aware that I always push myself to the max, but I thought it was no big deal to ride/drive 18 hours one way (13 hrs if we didn't stop for gas, food, or sleep) in the car being 34 wks pregnant.....boy did my body think otherwise!


I drove the first 2-3 hrs of the trip. We left in the late afternoon, so we stopped on the other side of Tallapoosa, AL for supper. If you have never eaten at a "Newk's" restaurant, it's worth a trip. Newk's reminds me of a "Panara Bread" with an Italian flare. We ate at the Newk's chain while we were at a chicken show in Newnan, Ga and thought it would be a great idea to eat there again on this trip. Buck had a Roast Beef sandwich and I had a Shrimp Po'Boy with Lobster/Crab Bisque.....mmmm. I was so full from the sandwich that I saved my soup for a midnight snack on the road. We stopped once, to sleep on the way, but just imagine a pregnant women trying to sleep with her feet up on the dash. By the time we arrived in Spring, Tx, Buck and I were exhausted. I even told Buck's aunt that I was going to stay in Texas and have the baby, then fly back.....I just couldn't imagine getting back in that car and torturing myself again.


Our stay in Texas was great! We stayed with Buck's aunt and uncle, his grandmother also lives with them. They're not really use to having kids around all the time, especially 7, but they were great with the kids. They also had 3 Pug dogs, that the children really enjoyed. I was a little worried that his aunt would think I was a crazy health food person, but it turns out she's a health nut too...lol.  They have an inground pool, so the kids were wrinkled prunes most of the trip...lol. Oddly enough, it was cooler in Texas than it was in Georgia while we were there, so they turned the pool heater on for the kids....sooo sweet! One day we went to a boardwalk full of shops and rides, in a small town named Kemah. We all had a great time and the kids rode a ton of rides. Most of the children had never been on any carnival rides, so it was a real treat. We also went to a historic town named Old Town Spring. It was the cutest little town full of shops and food. We found it by chance while I was looking for a place to buy a teacup ( I buy a teacup from all the different places we visit). By the time we started looking around most of the shops were closing :( We still managed to buy a couple souvenirs for Buck's parents (they took care of the farm....bless them), some dutch licorice, 2 teacups (the second one was too cute to pass up), and a birthday present for my mother.

On the Boardwalk
The last day we said goodbye to Buck's family and went to visit my uncle and aunt, a little over an hour away. We were so busy talking and visiting that we forgot to take pictures!!! I'm so bummed about that. My aunt whom is almost 80 has a huge garden and canned over 400 quart jars of food last year!!! We got to sample some of that harvest and it was mmmmm good....my favorite was her pickled okra...Oh, and some thin sliced garlic pickles (sorry a pregnant women can't pick one favorite pickled item). And my uncle who is 81, looks like he hasn't aged at all in the past 15 yrs...they both don't look ....or act...their age. I wish we could have stayed longer, they are so full of knowledge and just plain awesome people to be around.
The drive home was manageable, but poor Buck wanted me to drive, so he could get a break, but my legs and feet were so swollen that I couldn't. By the time we got home I had no visible ankles or veins in my feet. Even some of the children had swollen feet. We made it back and I learned a very valuable lesson....Don't push yourself farther than you can happily deal with. The kids did great on the trip....it was Buck and I that were grumpy.


To leave you on a positive note....
You want to know something very interesting about Texas? They have a donut shop  every block. And I don't mean these chain places like DDonut and KKreme....I'm talking about "Grandma woke up at the crack of dawn to make these awesome donuts!" They were delicious, not like a piece of cake that makes you feel yucky for hours, but a light homemade yummy yum don
ut. And Texans eat them all the time. There were some waiting on us at Buck's aunt's house when we arrived (I had an awesome cake donut) and my aunt sent my uncle out for some as a "snack" when we got to their house (the best apple fritters you ever put in your mouth).

Mary on carousel


Buck and Little Young


Buck's Aunt, Grandma, Uncle and Me


Back- Elsie, Little Young, and Mary....Front- Chuck and Gus gus


Aunt, Grandma, Uncle, and Buck


Me, Snail, and Posie

No comments:

Post a Comment