Us

Us

Friday, June 20, 2014

Refinishing My Crib and Changing Table

I have been so busy getting baby things ready and we have a produce explosion in the garden....lol. But I just have to share about my "projects" :)


I bought a "new to me" crib while pregnant with snail. So, the crib and changing table have never matched. This didn't really bother me until I realized I could do something about it. So, this pregnancy I decided to refinish/ antique both.....


I started with the changing table, since Little Young was still in the crib. I used the same technique as the shelf I distressed (prettyhandygirl blog).....paint, lightly brush on stain with a dry paintbrush, rub off some of the stain. Then, I went back and added stress marks on corners and edges, but didn't wipe them. Finally, Buck went over everything with polyurethane.


The changing table was originally a dark cherry, so 1 coat of paint took me 2.5 hrs. I just kept looking at it thinking "one coat looks good...maybe not the best, but good". Anytime I hit a little bump like this I always ask Buck for his opinion. I asked, "Honey, what do you think? One coat looks fine, right?" He said, "Well, if that's the look you were going for then, I guess it looks fine, but I would do another coat".  Thank God he tells me what I need to hear instead of what I want to hear. So, I did a second coat and everything turned out perfect.


Now, the crib was lighter in color, but was little bit more difficult because of the slates and it being all taken apart. (I would have loved  to have left it together, but it wouldn't fit through the door). So, I had to be very careful what I leaned the pieces against or the paint came off....this happened several times. I finally got smart and put rags in between all the pieces. What's funny is, I don't think the side pieces and the end pieces of the crib ever went together....they're not even the same color. But now you would never know!


I really enjoyed refinishing the crib and changing table AND I love even more enjoying looking at the finished product. I never thought it would come out so well. Little bit of advice.....start a project like this when your baby bump isn't quit so big, my poor little guy hated being squished while I painted....lol. Oh, and if you are expecting, paint and stain outside....you to have that fresh air.


Paint color I used: Vanilla Custard:Beur paint
Stain color: Early American




This is the color difference in the sides and ends of the crib...before




changing table before
After my first coat (when I wanted to quit)
Finished Product
Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment